Saturday, September 17, 2011

How to Flirt 101

I workout on a weekly basis with my good friend Bill.  He's a successful 60 year old man with a corny, yet endearing sense of humor.  He makes friends with anybody and everybody.

Bill and I worked out today at 24 Hour Fitness.  I always tend to scope out the gym and guide us toward the machines next to the cutest guys.  Today there happened to be three guys working out together.  One of them I recognized as an acquaintance's boyfriend, the second a tall and handsome guy in a Yale shirt, and the third a couple notches away from Trey Songz.  I had my eye on the third guy, but didn't make any eye contact.  You see, I was looking a hot mess, and didn't think that trying to get anybody's attention was in my best interest.  Bill and I completed a couple sets of seated rows then headed across the gym to the free weights.  Much to my delight, the gentlemen's workout led them right to our area.  I kept making failed attempts at flirting by looking at Pseudo-Trey, then looking quickly away.  Let me tell you, that will NEVER work...EVER. Bill must have noticed my failed attempts because he picked up on the vibe and said to the guy in the Yale t-shirt, who happened to be writing down their workout, "Leave it to the guy from Yale to log the workout a notebook."

Kudos, Bill, Kudos!  What an excellent opening.  We all chuckled, and Mr. Yale made a cute joke about making a spreadsheet about it later. Well, now that I think about it, it may not have been a joke.  Bill keeps the small talk going and finds out that Mr. Yale is finishing up his Ph.D. in History and plans to become a professor.  A little while later, Bill loudly starts talking about how he's going to find me a dork, and set me up with one of his neighbors.  Bill is goooood.  Man with just that one over-pronounced comment, he alerted the fellas that I was single, looking, and that I liked dorks aka smart people.  I picked up what Bill was laying down and loudly replied that I didn't like just any dork, but cute and funny dorks.

It might have been my over-active imagination of making things up, but not long after that I swear that Pseudo-Trey started finding openings for some pretty funny one-liners.

Nothing beyond that happened, but hopefully next time I run into my gym guy, I can start a good conversation and get a little further, i.e. asked out on a date or something.

I definitely took notes on Bill's easy conversation starters;  I'll let you all know when he begins giving workshops.


No comments:

Post a Comment